Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hi to everyone,

I'm done my first week of radiation, which also means I'm half way done. This first week went well. Not really any major side affects. Half an hour before each zap I take a couple pills to prevent the heartburn and nausea. I've been okay in that department. Actually I feel quite blessed with the treatments. There are others at the Lodge that have open sore, thrush, no appetite, swelling, canes, walkers, oxygen tanks and feeding tubes. Many are side affects from the radiation and\or chemo. It seems the side affects can be more of a downer than the actual cancer. There is always something. For me the worst is a bit a cramping from all the drugs I take and bathroom breaks take a bit longer if you get my drift. This weekend the cramping was bad but turned into the runs and I wasn't sure if I picked up a virus or not. I don't want to pass anything around the Lodge! The doc said I was fine to go back and keep up the last week of treatment. Like I said I have nothing to complain about, I am definitely one of the fortunate ones. Also many of the patients at the Lodge are there for six weeks!! Life at the Lodge is good, the food is amazing and everyone is happy and friendly. All the talk is about the treatments, how is everyone feeling, and symptoms, but that is our life right now. Everyone has cancer. Everyone is being treated for cancer and we all live together in a home for cancer. Everyone is so happy and upbeat though that it isn't even depressing. When you go to the hospital all the hundreds of people you see walking around in the department have cancer and are being treated for cancer. You live in a cancer world literally and you begin to think "Does everyone in the world have cancer or what?". "Is there anyone out there who doesn't have cancer?". It was a new feeling to come home for the weekend and go to the grocery store and bank and realize the world is a bit bigger than the cancer world.

Don't think that I didn't do anything else out in London, the actual treatment is only 15 mins a day. Remember I had my friend with me and we had wheels! (The other patients were jealous - some just stay at the Lodge all day long for six weeks - going home for the weekends). She got her haircut while I relaxed getting a pedicure! My parents also came up at the end of the week and took me out for dinner (sorry to all my brothers and sister for being the favourite one!) and they brought me home the next day. Also with the cancer society they had a seminar at the hospital for women called "Look Good, Feel Better". They started this group because there were two women who were always positive and flying through treatments and doctors would ask them how they did it. They said before treatments we always go get our hair and make-up done and we feel amazing about they way we feel and look, so our outlook on the treatments is positive. The group started asking make-up companies for extra make-up or discontinued lines and would put a box together (worth $300) for cancer patients and teach them how to wear it. So now I have a new line of make-up at home and my girls are very excited to try some on - I'm not one to wear a lot of make-up but I was excited to learn how to do it (and with no hair, some sort of colouring above the shoulders might be nice). After a man came in to talk about wigs and the different types and how to wear and wash them. How to wear hats and scarves. It was interesting. The stem cell doctor told me I would lose my hair which doesn't bother me at all (I can say that now). I have had long hair since kindergarten. Some from school say I haven't changed bit. I don't know if that makes me old fashioned or that I just age nicely!!! Anyway in August I'm going to cut my hair shorter and than September I will go for something short and wild maybe. Might as well play around with it all a bit. The doctor also said my hair will most likely grow back in curly. Perfect I told him, than I'll look like Pete!

Anyway, hopefully next week goes as well as the first week. Another friend is coming with me from Monday to Wednesday if all goes well and than Pete and the kids are coming up Thursday. We are going to show them where I go at the Lodge and hospital and than we will stay at a hotel with big water slides for the last night. A little fun for everyone during a time where there is a bit of waiting and treatments. My children is going camping this week with Pete and his parents. Hopefully the weather holds out for them.

I still love the old fashion mail in my box at the road, all the emails and blog comments. Your prayers, thoughts and help continue to support me and my family. It is all so encouraging!

Love Pete, Sharon, Natasha, Heather and Shaun.

3 comments:

whoizit? said...

We have been keeping updated through your dad. This blog will keep us updated on a more continuous basis. You have been and will continue to be in our daily prayers. Also my brother and his wife are here tonight and wish you the Lord's blessing. She also asked me to pass on their phone number as they are only around the corner in London. This number is 519-685-6057.

Love Herman and Tante Lie Engbers and Peter and Hettie Engbers.

Unknown said...

Sharon and Pete: Just caught up with your last few blogs. You sound upbeat Sharon...May God continue to give you the strength..thankfully you are blessed with a sense of humour. You have quite a road a head of you..just remember to take it a step at a time. All of us pray for you everyday.. and your in our thoughts. You live in a cancer world.. our life continues, I'm meeting my sister from virginia tomorrow for a few days. Take care and May God continue to bless you all. Good thinking taking the kids to check out the lodge, who came up with that name anyway??? lol carolin

Sarah said...

Yah hoo! Half way done! So glad to hear things have gone so well so far, better than expected. We pray for strength for the rest of the week for Sharon's treatments, but also for His nearness to you all in this time of separation. The quote "not a hair shall fall from your head without the will of your heavenly Father" is so true in a literal sense, now, too. May this be a comfort and source of strength to you all!
Love, Kelly, Sarah and kids