Friday, July 18, 2008

Hello,

I am back from London a little early. Pete and I went to London on Thursday (got bumped a day) to meet the radiologist. At this visit he wanted to get to know us and our situation. He also did an examination -checking all the bones in the neck, collar bone, back and ribs -and he found that I had a broken rib. So that explained some of the pain I've been having, but I think he may have made things worse because he was a bit hard on some spots. Today I've actually taken pain meds in the day because the ribs and spine are quite sore. He also ordered a X-ray on my pelvis because the pain in my hips and lower back have been getting worse too and he wants to be sure there are no fractures before we start anything. At one point in the exam the doctor was squeezing my upper arm and asked if I had swelling there - I told him that's called my muscle! (that's the Nordeman coming out).
The actual radiation will start on Monday and go till Friday and I do this for two weeks. I had to do a "planning CAT scan" yesterday as well. This is where they figure out exactly where the radiation will go in my body. I had to lay face down on the bed and the techs wheeled me into the "big donut" and I wasn't allowed to move a muscle. My head was slightly propped up and so were my legs so I wasn't in the most comfortable position!! Anyway they found the spots on my spine and marked them in ink and then told me they were going to permanently tattoo them on. I asked if they were going to put the needles in and they said it would feel like a bee sting. I don't mind needles at all but I do like to see them coming - kinda hard when you are face down in a backward arch! They said "Here comes the first needle, second and now third". I asked "Those were the bees?". Yes. I said "I was expecting the whole hive!" So it wasn't so bad after all and now I'm the new owner of three "freckle" tattoos. (My kickboxing instructor would be so proud. I was one of the only ones at the club without a tattoo.)
The radiologist did talk to us about the radiation. It's a laser that kills off any cancerous cells in the spine and than hopefully new good cells grow in it's place and repair the bone on its own. This is why its so important to localize the radiation as much as possible so that other bones and tissue won't be affected. The risks of not doing this on my spine are tricky in the sense that the spinal cord going through the bones could get pinched and leave my legs paralyzed and the bladder not functioning. Another option to prevent that from happening is to fill that piece of the spine with cement to keep it from collapsing. Wouldn't that be wonderful - full of concrete AND tattooed! Seriously though it's starting to sink in how serious this could be. I just keep taking things as they come not really looking to much into the future treatments but it is good to hear and prepare for it all mentally. They also told me radiation can make you very tired and can be painful and with each visit it can get worse than the time before. Sometimes it won't hit right away and sometimes people feel nothing. I might have to wear sunscreen after as well because it can leave red spots. Lastly since the radiation is near the esophagus it will cause very bad heartburn to the point of nausea and vomiting. That will be hard on my spine! They said they will give me strong meds to prevent that from happening. I said I had some at home and the doctor said, "No, very strong stuff". So, I'm all set for Monday now. They were going to start me right away yesterday but than changed their minds. Back and forth it went. Pete booked and unbooked the Lodge for me three times! I go to London on Monday now and am in the hospital for 20 mins each day, actual radiation time is 45 sec., the rest is lining up the tattoos. It seems strange to be gone from home that whole time for such a little amount of hospital time! I will definitely get the rest I need and it's a good thing I love to read. A friend offered to stay with me for the first couple of days so that will be fun (if I'm not throwing up and napping on her). This helps out too because Pete is very busy with work and to go to London all the time takes up the whole day. He will still come on Tuesday when we meet with the other doctor about me donating my own cells for the stem cell transplant (another reason they want limited radiation done - so I still have some good stuff to harvest). That's the report up to now. The kids will be staying with others again, at least it's summer time and they can still have fun with family and friends. There have been so many offers from people to take the kids to the beach or to their homes for dinner or to the park. It's a good feeling not having to worry about whether the kids are being cared for or not. It's a load off my mind.
There is still so much to be thankful for even in situations that are trying. I see a lot of kids at the hospital or hear them crying through X-rays and am thankful it isn't one of mine going through it, but rather me. I could be going through this alone, but have a lot of support from everyone. I still feel strong physically but just feel a bit brittle (if that makes sense). The pain is still manageable, it could be worse. There is always something good even in the midst trouble. It's also good to be able to chat to everyone through the blog. I am not one to write in a diary or keep a journal and tuck it away. It's nice to be able to share with everyone.
Thanks to everyone again for your support and prayers! God is good!
Love from Pete, Sharon and the kids.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Dear Sharon,Pete and kids: We hope and pray that you receive the strength and patience during the next two weeks of treatment. Praying also that our Great Physician grants you healing and softens your pain. Great to see your sense of humour as well as the serious side..professing that it is in His hands and seeking comfort from Him alone!
In Christian love:
Ben & Anita Poort