Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hello to all:

Today is a much better day! I went to the doctor in Owen Sound yesterday to start my new cocktail of chemo. The one chemo is the same, but just a slightly larger dose taken by IV. I did notice that when I dragged the IV to the bathroom I felt like I was going to tip over a few times, or was a bit dizzy. With the last treatments I did I sometimes feel dizzy and other times I was fine. The doctors always want you to have a driver for chemo appointments just for that very reason. Anyway, I also had my four hour IV for the calcium in my blood and I did blood work again. So it was a full day at the hospital. Then I was sent to the pharmacy to pick up eight different drugs just to deal with all the side effects of chemo! I take eleven chemo pills once a week on the same day as my IV chemo. Than a drug 12 hours before the oral chemo and than again 12 hours after. The steroids were increased (just when I was going to ask them to decrease them!) but I take them every other day so hopefully there is more of a balance. This way maybe I can control the mood swings and weepiness! There is a bit more feeling of nausea, but I can control that with food (of course) for the most part. I have to take at least one nausea pill a day - doctors orders - and then all the rest of the pills. It almost feels like I'm having a buffet of pills everyday!

Not much else to report. Next week Monday I do the chemo thing again and Tuesday is the visit to Toronto to meet the new doctor. Maybe I'll wait till after Tuesday to write again.

Thanks for all the support and hopefully you are all enjoying the sunshine outside!

Love Sharon

4 comments:

Albert and Chris said...

Hi Sharon and Pete. Just talked to Tante Nel and she told me there were updates so I just read the blog. Sounds like you're really enjoying all those wonderful drugs :(. I hope they begin to help and give you some relief. Just a heads up, Albert and I are planning to be in Owen Sound over Thanksgiving (just the two of us), so if you're up to it, we'll try for a little visit. I'll call you the day of to see how you are feeling and if you are up to it. (Prob. Saturday or Sunday).
We're praying for you guys. Take care. Albert and Chris

GvR said...

Thanks for updating us Sharon.
Thinking of you often, and will continue to pray for you.
Dave and Geraldine

Anonymous said...

Sharon: I've been meaning to touch base, and I will! Lots of mixed feelings for me here - as we were hanging out in the pool in Florida together, who would have thought?! But we know that God is our refuge and strength; that He upholds us, cares for us and has promised to never leave our side. I would LOVE to come and visit you and I'm going to do my very best to make that happen.

Deb and Brad and kids

jan said...

Dear Pete and Sharon,
I have been keeping up to date with your blog, and am thinking about you, praying for you, and hoping that you are able to keep us posted. Even though it might sometimes be too much. All the best Sharon.
Thinking about you both and your kids lots, Love from Menco and Janice