Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hey everyone:

Well, Pete and I went to London Tuesday. Actually we left on Monday night because my appointment was early Tuesday morning. I can't handle driving for five hours and do four to five hours of testing in one day. I will tire out and get way too sore. After a hearty breakfast we got to the hospital a bit early and registered in. They right away sent me for blood work (eight tubes) and then I went to get a chest X-ray and last was sent for an ECG. The tech put about twelve stickers on me and clipped on the wires, I was just settling back when she ripped all the wires & stickers off - I was done already!! In between those three tests I had to fill out the same form I do every time I go to London - all about your symptoms and if anything has changed or if you need a social worker etc. Everything was running on schedule and we met the doctor on time to discuss the transplant. First I had to have a physical and than we went over any questions. Apparently I will still be feeling pretty good after I get chemo on the 15th of October. The doctor said I could go out on day passes or out for dinner/shopping whatever. I was surprised. The side effects won't hit until six to eight days later - than I have to be very careful!

I was supposed to have a tour of the 7th floor where I will be living for three weeks, but the nurse was tied up in a family crisis and they don't let people just wander around up there. They did show me where I would get dialysis done. They said don't drink too much water because you can't drag that machine into the bathroom like you would an IV pole! Instead it's the "trusty" bed pan. It looks like I'm able to go through with the transplant from the test results they have so far. There was a nurse that retired in London in the last couple days/weeks and she was in charge of doing the transplants from a sibling to a patient. Now there is a huge waiting list until they hire a new nurse. Thankfully I'm my own donor and there are nurses and doctors to carry out my procedure. Pete and I got out of London a lot sooner than expected and made it home at a decent time. I napped on the way back of course!

The last two weeks I have been getting more sore and achy and the pain begins to burn a bit. My skin feels like it would when you have the flu and it hurts to brush your hair or wear a shirt against your skin. I have a bit of a bloated tummy from the steroids (and maybe my appetite). The other night at dinner the kids eyes lit right up and they squealed "Your pregnant!!". I said "Nooo, the drugs would not be good for the baby - I'm not pregnant". "Well", they said, If you WERE pregnant how far along would you be?". "Four months!" I answered.

It's almost time for the next haircut - Oct. 1 - I'm going short. That will last till I go to the hospital. At first I thought to just shave my head the day before I go in so I don't have to worry finding a razor at the hospital. The doctor told me not to shave it off because they don't want nicks on my scalp. (The nurses will do it when my hair falls out). He did say to go wig shopping. There is a place about half hour away from here where a lady has a business in her home. She books fittings for just one customer at a time so we aren't rushed. The girls want to come with me. It's almost like a bridal fitting except we are just doing the headpieces!

I have one more stretch of steroids (four days) and than I hope to never have to take those again. I'm looking forward to having my own moods backs - which are usually good. I hate what the drugs do to you (for me they make me very grumpy and moody), it hasn't be fun for my family or me! Anyway, the first week in October I will be getting a new drug to get the stem cells moving, healthy and multiplying so that by the 7th of October I can get a permcath and have dialysis and get a good enough harvest. On Oct. 14 (Pete's & my anniversary) we'll be going to London so I'm there for the transplant and the month.

Well, I was reading my daughter a book for bed, but she took over the reading and I fell asleep. Now that the blog is updated I should probably get to bed myself. In all things I leave it with the Lord to see how He sees best to deal with all these tests and appointments. I will show up for everything and know that He will hold my hand and hold my family till all this is done.

Thanks again to everyone for the endless support and love!!

Love Pete, Sharon, Natasha, Heather & Shaun

4 comments:

Jack & Michelle, Chelsea, Taylor and Meagan said...

Sharon:

Just reading your blog again and want to wish you much patience and strength for the weeks to follow. Thinking about you often and praying for you and your family often.
Luv from all of us,
Jack and Michelle VanderVelde
Chelsea, Taylor & Meagan

Anita said...

May the Lord bless the doctors plans for you in the next couple of months Sharon. We pray that you may receive the desired results.
Praying also that the Lord will continue to hold you,Pete and the children in the palm of His hands as you go through these trying times.
In Christian love: Ben&Anita Poort

kristy alkema said...

Dear Pete and Sharon,
Thanks for keeping us updated by your blog. We pray that the Lord continues to be with you especially next month as you undergo your transplant. May He surround you with His care and grant you much strength, comfort and peace.
Gods blessings,
Brian and Kristy Alkema(vanMeeteren) and kids

Frank VanderLoo said...

I will lift up my eyes to the hills - from whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul. The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore. (Psalm 121).